Tuesday, December 8, 2015

It's Not A Joke

I'm not political and I'm terrible about keeping up with what's happening in this country.  Don't ask me what Obama has or hasn't done for the last seven years.  Don't ask me what Jeb Bush stands for or what Hillary is promising to do.

The only thing I know about the attorney general is that every time I hear her name on NPR I picture Loretta Lynn.

But Trump has me freaked out.  He really does.  It's not funny or entertaining anymore.  It's time to stop walking past the television and scoffing at him or turning the radio up to hear what stupid crap flew out of his mouth this time.

Why is this happening?  How does he have so many supporters?

Because Donald Trump is saying what so many people believe and feel but have been afraid to say out loud.  Now they have a voice.  Now they have someone willing to stand up and spout hatred, fear and ignorance.

We can't be quiet any longer.  We can't blow it off or brush it aside.  We have to do something.  I have to do something.  But what?

Educate myself?

Yes.

Speak up?

Yes.

Step out of my comfort zone?

Hell yes.

Stop shutting my mouth in case I offend someone or provoke them to question my feelings and beliefs?

Yes, yes and hell yes.

I don't know much about Hitler or his rise to power.  I know he was voted into office.  I know a whole country let it happen.  A whole world let it happen.

I know I would like to curl up on the couch with the remote or a good book and let the people in charge take care of it.  I know it would be easy to say the people in charge are idiots or incompetent or stupid.

But maybe, just maybe, the people in charge need a little help.

Maybe, just maybe, they need the rest of us to speak up.  To vote.  To care.  To get out there and make sure another holocaust doesn't happen.

I don't know where it starts.  I don't know how I start.

I think I'll start here.  Saying I've had enough.  Enough of being quiet while fear, hatred and ignorance burrow deeper into the psyche of our society and metastasize into a hungry, evil cancer.

I'll start by educating myself.  Reading.  Learning. Listening.

I'll start by speaking up.


3 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

I am in agreement with you. I thought Trump would have fizzled by now. The only thing I can go with is that the opinion polls which put Trump at the head of the pack are not getting a good cross-section of actual voters. Don't forget that answering a poll is not the same as voting. (That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.)

I am also with you in that I don't really know what to do about it.

Green Girl said...

Speaking up, asking questions and VOTING. I've yet to meet an actual admitting-it-publicly supporter of his, but it freaks me out that they're out there, too.

Anonymous said...

Realy nice article and good posting I waiting news article LOL

jual jaket kulit asli
jual jaket kulit garut
sejarah jaket kulit garut
perawatan jaket kulit asli garut
pembuatan jaket kulit asli garut
bahan jaket kulit asli garut
Produksi Jaket Kulit Asli Garut
toko jaket kulit asli garut