Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving

I don't recommend hosting Thanksgiving dinner the day after you get home from the beach.

I also don't recommend grocery shopping for Thanksgiving dinner at 4:00 p.m. the day before Thanksgiving.

Unless you are me and you have spent the past twenty years strategically setting the Thanksgiving bar very, very low.

Then it's OK.  No one will notice that your house is a mess or that you may have forgotten a few of the classic dishes (just realized there is not a single cranberry in the house).

The three people I live with are so weird about food it doesn't really matter.  None of them like much of the traditional dishes.  In fact my husband is making pizza once the mothers leave.

I bought a turkey breast for D13 and I.  We are the only ones who even care if there is some form of turkey on the table.

Mother-in-law (MIL) is bringing a vegetarian main dish and I we are both doing sides.

She is making Wonder cake.  Which is the most wonderful of desserts (pudding, graham crackers, cream cheese, whip cream, etc).  I bought a pecan pie.

We are covered.

This is my mom's first Thanksgiving without a kitchen.  My MIL, who is the best in-law in the world invited my mom over this morning so she can help her cook.  How thoughtful is that? I had planned on picking her up early today so she could help me cook, knowing that it would be extremely stressful for my husband and kids to have my mom around the entire day.

Right now I'm going to get in a quick yoga practice and meditation before the barbarians awake.  Just for a little extra assurance I survive the day.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.




2 comments:

smalltownme said...

I've been hearing about a number of great mother-in-laws this holiday. So glad you have one too.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

I hope it was a peaceful and contented day for all of you.