Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Procrastination and Denial: Best Friends FOREVER

I really have got to do something about my procrastinating.

I made a secret commitment to blog every day in December, since I didn't manage it in November.

Then I missed day two!  DAY TWO!!!!

Honestly.

I'd like to tell you that I was just to busy and to important and to cool for school to bother with posting yesterday.

Sadly none of those things are true.

It's ridiculous the stupid things I come up with to do before I travel.  Most of these things involve sitting in front of the computer, panicking that I don't have enough entertainment material for the trip.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time yesterday morning updating playlists on Spotify and downloading books and magazines to the iPad.

My intention was to drop the kids off at school, bust through a bunch of house work, pack and take care of a little work before I left the house.

It's like I don't even know myself.

I did exactly the same thing I always do on a travel day.  Totally screwed around, didn't accomplish what I needed to do, felt guilty about it for about five minutes on the way to the airport and then completely forgot about every obligation I have at home and turned the music up.

Oh denial, you and I are such good friends.  

Of course now we are in that dangerous zone:  The Holidays.   I'm even worse here.  There's so much I like the idea of doing -- the decorating, the baking, the shopping, the presents.   I just kind of get in a frenzy and don't get the holiday stuff or the normal stuff done.

I've been toying with the idea of simplifying my life.  Not just for Christmas, but in general.

Turns out that requires some discipline.  My buddies procrastination and denial keep offering to buy me a drink and keep telling me I can worry about simplification and discipline in January.

I have to got stop hanging out with these people.




3 comments:

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

I have that wide-eyed panicked look going on when I think of Christmas right now. Ugh.

Common Household Mom said...

I am a Class A-1 procrastinator. Right now I'm supposed to be cleaning the kitchen. I'm telling you this just to be fair, so you know that the rest of my comments are not going to be helpful to you.

I don't travel much, but I find your concern about entertainment while traveling to be valid. I went to visit my mother a few months ago, and I FORGOT MY KINDLE. Oy! I didn't know what to do with myself when I had downtime.

I myself would never be able to keep a promise to blog every day during December.

Yes, it is very hard to simplify one's life. I can't go into details, but it's hard. There are so many expectations, both internal and external.

Bibliomama said...

I love you.