Monday, December 1, 2014

December. Are You Kidding Me?

How does this happen every year?

It's December 1 and I'm slipping into my annual weird state of panic and denial.

Wait.  That might be my state year round.

Anyways, I got home from the big trip Thanksgiving Day, 2:00 a.m.ish.  Slept a lot Thursday.

Now I'm prepping for a business trip tomorrow.  I don't know why this always seems to be so much work.  You would think I would have this down pat and wouldn't even be bothered by it.

There's always some errands that just have to be done before I leave town.  Picking up school jackets at the uniform school (don't get me started on the school jackets only policy), picking up J16's prescription, making sure the pantry is stocked.

It's kind of stupid that I get so crazy about making sure they have everything they need when I'm gone.  Like they can't go to the store.  Like they don't go to the store and get the food they really want.  Yesterday I was thinking about this and I realized I've been traveling for work their whole lives (my kids lives).  They are used to this.  It's not a big deal.

I need to relax.

So I have lots to say about the trip with my mom and I need to sort it out.  It was a great trip.  I loved the drive into and through Iowa.  I loved the time I spent with Aunt Betty.  It was good to see my mom in her native environment.  It put her in context.

Of course we are already back to our regularly scheduled frustrations, but I'm trying to be zen and nice about it.  She's passive aggressive.  What am I gong to do about it?  She's a hypochondriac six year old trapped in a 79 year old body.  It's a party.

Although I'm frantic today and tomorrow morning once I head to the airport I'll be happier.  At that point the panic usually dissipates and I slip into blissful 100 percent holiday denial.  Gifts?  Decorating?  Candy making?  Bah.  I'm going to Starbucks and pretending it's February already.

2 comments:

smalltownme said...

I like the "pretending it's February" idea. The older I get, the less I care about most aspects of the holidays. Except for my Christmas ornaments!

Common Household Mom said...

I very much love your idea of pretending it is February. I do like making cookies and sending cards, but the rest of it? Meh.

The few times when I go out of town, I often try to stock up for the rest of the family. And then they completely ignore the things I stocked them up with, and get the junky food they crave.