Sunday, March 2, 2014

Quitter

This week I'm resigning from a couple of extracurricular commitments I don't really have time for right now.

The first is as secretary and member of a local quilt guild.  I hate to give this up, I usually learn something new and am inspired to come home and sew after the meetings.  It's good to sit in a room of fellow quilters and see the incredible projects they bring in for show and tell.  Unfortunately a yoga teaching opportunity opened up on Tuesday nights -- the night the guild meets -- and I can't afford to pass it up.  I need the extra money and I need the teaching experience.

I'm also resigning from our production team at church.  This one I could maybe hold onto.  Except when I'm serving -- which is twice a month -- my family usually skips church. It seems to me that if I'm going to go to church I should probably be going with my family.  On top of that I'm not completely sure if this, or any, church is the church I belong at.  I need a little breathing space in that area of my life.

Also, I've found myself busy to many weekday evenings.  Between guild, teaching other nights and needing to be at church rehearsal twice a month during the week, I've become overwhelmed.

On top of that I'm spending more and more time helping my mother manage her life and I have to take some time to put together some sort of plan for her future.

Lastly, I'm taking my son to Atlanta in about a month for an evaluation at an autism center for possible Aspergers.  So it's a little crazy around here.

Never mind that I am a major homebody, introvert, melancholy that does best when I have oodles of time to myself and start to implode when I don't.  That's really another post isn't it though?

Good thing I committed to NaBloPoMo and the theme is Self.  It's gonna be a long month.


4 comments:

Jennifer said...

It sounds to me like you're making room to take care of yourself, which is sorta the opposite of quitting. I'm so very happy that you're doing that. You're making room for things that matter *more* to you, and that's always the right thing.

Sheri said...

You are certainly not a quitter, you're just being smart about your time and your priorities. I applaud you for taking those steps.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

There are seasons for things and you are wise to recognize that.
FYI: I long to teach Sunday school, but logistically that would mean not going to service to feed myself on Sunday morning. I used to feel bad about that, but now I don't.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Prioritizing is a very good thing. I hear you on being out too many weeknights--I didn't like it when I let that start happening in my life with kids.

That's a big step with your son; I hope you find the answers you are looking for.