Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Bright Side

My husband was laid off about a month ago.  This has sent me into a serious, very long lasting, anxiety attack.  We've been here before.  I don't like it.

I could probably say a lot about it.  A lot of bad, scary stuff.

I think today I will say a quick little bright side about his layoff.

One of the bright sides is that he is now in charge of fourth grade math homework.

This might be worth having him unemployed.

Not really, but it is a wonderful thing.

I was not meant to help children with math homework.  Math is not D11's best subject (that's putting it mildly).  It has not been helped with my assistance during homework.  I have a hard time pushing him to be neat and to concentrate and to think.  Instead I get really impatient and annoyed (as I write this they are having a lovely discussion about neat handwriting and I am, oh thank any higher power out there, not the one having that conversation).

I have tried.  I really have. I either lose my patience (OK, temper, fine, we'll call it temper) or just blow it off and let him get away with crappy work.

I don't like this about myself.  I do make an effort, I have tried to change. I do manage the rest of homework and D11 and I do just fine.  But math had truly become unbearable.

So today I am grateful I am not managing math homework anymore. That's how I'm handling this layoff.  Trying not to worry about the future and trying to find some things to appreciate and be grateful for.





4 comments:

smalltownme said...

In our family the math came easy for my sons. It was managing the writing assignments that caused the tears.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Whatever works and thank god for small favors, right?!

I've been through two layoffs--most anxiety I've ever had. I'm not going to say worse than losing my mom, but just as bad in a different way.

the sandwich life said...

Hope things are going better.....I am totally with you on math homework....

Buy nehru jacket said...

I like your article, I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I am happy to find so many useful info here in the post, we need develop more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing.