Friday, June 29, 2012

I'm not going to talk about the heat

My kids left for the beach today.   They aren't coming home until Wednesday or Thursday.  It's so weird.

The cat spent the afternoon laying in front of a fan in my office feeling the cold air blowing in through the window from the living room.  My office is an old Florida room and doesn't have air conditioning (except for fan in window and open door).

The standard poodle is back.  We take him and my MIL takes the kids.  Really a pretty good deal.

I spent much of the afternoon laying on the couch.  Not because of that thing I said in the post title I wouldn't talk about but because I could.   I'm reading The Kane Chronicles, Book One:  The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan.  I'm enjoying it -- although feeling a bit that it is just Percy Jackson, book one but with Egyptian mythology.   J14 is half way through the second book and I enjoy reading books with him and discussing them.

We are waiting for that thing I said I wouldn't talk about to back off a little before we walk the dogs --maybe we'll even wait until there are only two digits on the thermostat instead of three.  And yes, it is 8:09 p.m.

Then I'll settle back on the couch for some bad television, knitting and reading.   It's nice, but I miss the kids and the next few days seem to stretch out forever before me.

7 comments:

smalltownme said...

I find it very strange when my kids are gone, too. Enjoy your free time, though.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I always missed my kids, too.

shrink on the couch said...

A few days sans enfants sounds like bliss. Have never had the benefit of relatives nearby (and willing) to take the kids for a visit. In fact, now that I think about it, have never been away from my kids longer than two nights (?? is that possible??) so I have no idea, really, what it feels like to miss my kids for an extended period. I'd like to give it a try before they move out and I get an overdose of it.

sherilee said...

I refer to my joint custody situation as trial-runs for empty nesting later on... I have convinced myself that I won't be the basket case I see some moms being when college arrives. We'll see. Its just my way of trying to make a crap situation seem not so bad...

So I do feel for you with the kiddos being gone. Try to do things that you can't do when they're around and treat it like a bit of a party... even in the heat!

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

Wow, you swapped your kids for a poodle? I'm not sure if you were gypped or if you got a really good deal!

Jennifer said...

I'm not going to talk about the heat, either.

Nope. Not gonna.

(Enjoy your quiet days.)

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

T's loving the Red Pyramid series.
We'll lose one kid for 2 weeks soon--to camp. I try to imagine being without all of them for a stretch, but it's like imagining winning the lottery or getting kidnapped by George Clooney.