Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I've been at my mom's since late Sunday night.  We spent all day Monday and most of yesterday packing.  She is a little freaked out.  Monday she was walking around, picking things up, walking five feet and them putting them down, grabbing her head and saying, "I don't know what to do!!!"

It's been ugly.

I repacked and semi-sorted through a bunch of stuff that's been in storage in the basement.  I'm inheriting my Grandma's china. I repacked it and I'm not sure I had seen it before.  I didn't remember the pattern. I think it's been in storage since the early/mid 1970s. There's no time to go through everything that needs to be gone through.  We're moving a lot of stuff that will get tossed -- generations of family pictures, papers (my mom still had the invoices from when I was in college.  and the invoices from when SHE was in college), and other totally bizarre stuff.

I'm pretty sure the next time a lot of this will see daylight will be when my mom dies and I have to sort through the stuff.  Hopefully at that point I'll be able to toss it.  We're in such a hurry now to get her out of this house there hasn't been time to go through everything.

I am a little frustrated that she wants to hold onto stuff that is just trash and then wants to give away something significant -- like a western shirt my grandmother made for my mom, including hand embroidery, braiding and those little pearlized snap buttons.  She wanted to give it to Goodwill!!!

It's in my suitcase.

Today I'm switching gears and going to D.C. for an all day meeting with a new client and our creative team.  I'm looking forward to it because it's such a rare thing for me to do.  I love D.C.  Last night we had dinner in Dupont Circle and today we'll be near Union Station.    It's nice to do that every once in a while and I'm so glad I don't have to do it (the commute, the meetings) every day.

4 comments:

smalltownmom said...

My mom saved so much stuff. I am such a packrat too, so it was hard for me to toss things but I managed.

Christy said...

Gooooood luck! And hope you have fun in the city again today/yesterday/whenever you posted this!

Seriously, hugs.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

You are a good daughter.

V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios said...

So much to deal with emotionally and physically. Thinking of you.