Saturday, June 25, 2011

I Never Procrastinate Procrastinating

Our house is an unbelievable mess and I really need to clean up before my mom gets here this week -- she'll be here for a few days house hunting.

Knowing that I had an incredible amount of decluttering (shoving stuff in closets she hopefully won't snoop in -- and under beds) and cleaning ahead of me today I chose to make chocolate chip cookies last night and then crawl into bed early. I had gone to the library Thursday and picked up a couple of books. I've been having a hard time settling into a book for awhile, but clearly I had found the perfect time to dig in.

I woke up early this morning -- before 7:00 -- and came out to the living room to read so the dogs would come with me and let the kids sleep. I ended up reading until 8:30.

I spent the next few hours wandering around, picking stuff up, feeding the kids and reading a chapter or so every once in a while.

Really, I haven't been able to keep at a book in forever and now I can't put them down. I know it has nothing to do with all of the work I should be doing and that if I allow myself to actually think I am easily overwhelmed by the fact that my mother will be staying here for at least a few days and then OMG she is going to be living within minutes of me for the first time in 16 years.

I taught a yoga class at noon, came home and fed the kids, dragged them out to my mother-in-law's so we could say good-bye to some family friends who are moving this week. Came home, sort of made dinner (while I was reading). Cleaned up a little. Read some more. Sort of made more dinner for my husband who worked 12 hours today.

Then I finished my book.

Now I'm waiting for another pan of cookies to cool off so I can crawl into bed with a cup of tea, a couple of cookies and another book.

I need to be well rested for my marathon of cleaning and decluttering tomorrow.

Or Monday.

Or Whenever.

5 comments:

smalltownmom said...

I like your style!

Leanne said...

Wow. You did all that in a day? I'm impressed. As for your Mom? I'm sure it will be fine...on some days. :) Good luck getting it all done!

Christy said...

I love the way you think! And act! Go you! And I'm jealous of all your book time - I have four waiting to be read! :)

V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios said...

This is a great post. I can so relate.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

The summer after my mother died I was reading 300 pages a day--coping mechanism, what?