Saturday, May 14, 2011

Saturday - ebooks vs. actual books

There's not much going on and to much going on. I keep meaning to blog.

Thanks so much to everyone for the wonderful book recommendations. As soon as I saw Mrs. Chili's recommendation to read Outlander I remembered how many people had told me to read it and I immediately downloaded it to my Nook. I really like it, although I'll be honest and tell you I'm skimming some of the sections -- like the long section where they are breaking Jamie out of jail (hope that isn't to much of a spoiler). I'm not sure what it is. I really do like this book, but sometimes I feel like she drags on and on.

I'm also suspicious that part of this is because I'm reading it on the Nook. I got the Nook for Christmas and I love it. I think.

Of course when I first got it I thought it was the best thing ever. A couple of months ago something weird happened to the screen (and this time it wasn't my fault) and it took me a month or so to take it to Barnes and Noble and get it replaced. During that month I went back to the library and checked out some old fashioned books and found that I really missed holding an actual book. I missed the feel of it, the weight of it. The smell.

I love my Nook. I had a business trip this weekend and it is so convenient to slip the Nook into my briefcase. Outlander comes in around 750 pages. I'm glad I wasn't lugging that through the airport and trying to store it in the seat back in front of me.

I also bought The Seventeen Day Diet. I know. But my mother-in-law is going to do it and she's convinced (because a friend of hers did) that she is going to lose tens and tens of pounds. Honestly? I can't let my MIL be skinnier then me (see how petty I am). So I'm thinking of trying it.

But my point was that I bought the diet book on my nook and I'm having trouble reading it. I think because I usually skim and skip around in diet books and that's harder to do on an ebook.

I conclude that I love both kinds of books and will continue to read both.

And again thanks for the book recommendations. I'm planning on making that my summer reading list.


13 comments:

Jennifer said...

I will be the very last convert to an e-reader, I think. Haven't ruled it out, it's just that I love holding a book.

sherilee said...

E-books are a funny thing. I download a LOT of samples and will sometimes read them, but my first impulse is to pick up a BOOK and turn pages. Maybe a couple of generations from now it will come just much more naturally... sad, but that's the way change goes.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I am on the last of the Outlander series--it is not my normal taste, but I love it. I am an e-book convert; I love to read in bed with the lights out. I also love to buy a book at 11 p.m. with the touch of a finger! Really, the only thing I don't like is not being able to take my book in the tub--that's why I do my magazines old school.

laurie said...

wait--book recommendations? you need book recommendations? wow.

IN ZANESVILLE by Jo Ann Beard.
THE YEAR WE LEFT HOME by Jean Thompson
ditto to Major Pettigrew, recommended by someone earlier
THE LONELY POLYGAMIST by brady udall
THE IMPERFECTIONISTS by tom rachman

all are fiction. all are great!

Unlikely Oilfield Wife said...

There is little better in the world than the smell of a library book. I got my husband a kindle for his birthday in December, and have been putting off getting one for myself.

And you aren't being petty. I went back on my diet the minute my sister in law told me she lost ten pounds.

Vodka Mom said...

i am getting an IPAD soon for school, and can't wait to see what it's about.

But I am so loathe to let go of my books. Am I OLD????

JCK said...

Oh, I ADORE the Outlander series. Have all the massive volumes. She's amazing that Diana Gabaldon. Oh for a Scotsman in a kilt....

I am a hold-out like Jennifer on the ebooks. But, I can see their easy appeal. Just love the sensory experience of a book. :)

Meredith LeBlanc said...

I'm a pretty tech savvy girl but I still haven't gotten a reader...I just love having a bunch a books on the table & looking at them all at once.

Maybe someday....

flutter said...

if you don't fall in love with Jamie Fraser, then I just don't know you at all

Cookie said...

I heard that you can even download books from the library now too. I might be asking for one of these for my birthday present soon.

Karen said...

I definitely love my e-reader--though I went with a Kindle. I've found, though, that certain types of books don't work well for me in this format. Genres like fiction, history, memoir--perfect. But self-help and cookbooks--not so much.

I read the first book in the Outlander series years ago, but it didn't grab me like it did so many other women--I remember skipping large chunks, too. And given the whole "so many books, so little time" sentiment, I've decided to forgo novels that don't hold my attention completely.

yogurt said...

As a non-nooker, non-kindler, always glad to hear the pros and cons. I believe I would miss the feel of a book, the ease of turning pages. I don't think I'd like the computer image feel of a nook, meaning, too similar to the screen I like to escape by reading. However, the 750page book that can fit in a pocket? Major selling point.

Magpie said...

I go back and forth. Sometimes I want the one, mostly I want paper.