Monday, April 25, 2011

Early Freaking Summer

I know some of you had snow a couple of weeks ago. So sorry.

Here in lovely middle Georgia we are having summer. It's going to be 88 degrees here today.

This weather is playing Jedi mind tricks on me. I am ready for summer vacation. I'm so tired of making the kids go to school.

We cleaned out the pool and filled it up last week and I spent most of Saturday and Sunday in the backyard gardening while the kids swam.

In the past two weeks I've planted tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, bell peppers, basil, thyme (two kinds), oregano (two kinds), dill, cilantro, and parsley (two freaking kind).

Much of that went into newly dug beds. Dug out of sod. Not fun.

I've also cleaned out my front yard flowers and planted a bunch of gerbera daisies, marigolds and zinnias. I'm having daily conversations with the mint and chocolate mint because they are threatening to take over everything. Which I love. But really it's ridiculous.

I also relocated two azaleas.

Dang, I am quite awesome aren't I?

Also the lavender is out of control. It needs to be trimmed back but it's blooming and I can't cut it when it's blooming. I mean I can, I just won't. It also produces quite a few babies which I can't throw away, but keep planting. Eventually my yards are going to be solid lavender, mint and oregano. Which might not be a bad thing.

Don't even get me started on the rosemary.

Most of our backyard is a jungle so I'm trying to trim hedges and cut down trees. This summer I'm really going to try and clean it up. I hired my ex-lawn guy to trim the front hedges because I hate that job so very much. Also whenever he comes by we discuss literature, world travel, art, yoga, boating, running, etc. The only thing that would make him better would be if he were still my lawn guy and not my ex-lawn guy.



9 comments:

the sandwich life said...

a lawn of herbs sounds wonderful....I have to go buy new rosemary plants every single year....I guess I should bring them inside but I never manage it.... I can't wait to start our planting!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I know how you feel about cutting back--I can barely stand to deadhead, because it's still a flower--a faded flower, but a flower nonetheless.

Sophia the Writer said...

Geez where do you live? I write fantasy novels set in lands like your backyard...

I know it's not, but your life sounds AMAZINGLY IDYLLIC. Yoga, planting chocolate mint. Dang!

Here we're mired in a pile of dirty dishes so high I can't use the kitchen sink, my 12-year-old car has an oil leak that's stained the driveway irreparably for the last year and a half, and I get to look at car exhaust every day in L.A. traffic.

Don't you feel better now? :D

Christy said...

I wish you were my neighbor! I'd love to learn how to plant ANYTHING! And go swimming! Ps here in NJ, it was 93 freaking degrees today!!!

sherilee said...

Well, I'm a little jealous. We would love to plant a little in the garden, but fear of frost will prevent that until the second week of May... and the wind and rain the past few weeks has been increasingly frustrating. Small patches of sun make me positively giddy.

But I am happy for you! Enjoy, and breathe in all that mint and lavender. Ahhhh.

Magpie said...

I wish my lavender would come back year after year. It should, but it doesn't.

anymommy said...

This post made me so jealous I can't see straight.

V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios said...

My husband is a gardener, my parents were big gardeners, and my grandfather was a professional gardener. Sadly, I don't know anything about plants! My husband works outside every day he can. It is hard work but he loves it. When he retires, I'd like for him to teach me a bit of what he knows. And yes, summer came early in Virginia too. I had to turn the AC on in early April!

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

An ex-lawn boy? There has to be a story there.
Oh, to have too much lavender! I coax mine along, but it grows slow and stubborn for me.