Thursday, March 31, 2011

Poem Thursday - Frost

Acquainted with the Night

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
O luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.


6 comments:

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

this feels so lonely.

flutter said...

I love it though, even as it feels lonely

Zube said...

Lovely.

Sophia the Writer said...

Oooooh. I'm walking through the shadow of the valley right now and this poem spoke quietly to my heart.

WINDOWLAD said...

...this is really beautiful... truly penned by an excellent hand... and i've always loved Robert Frost's poetry... and my favorite is: "Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening"...^^

Good day.

-->>Kelvin

V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios said...

This has long been one of my favorites, frequently re-read. I'm a night walker, a rain walker, a person who drops her eyes, unwilling to explain.