Friday, March 18, 2011

The Beach

I can't really complain about much today. It's spring. The kids get out of school at noon. D8 has a birthday party to go to right after school. J12 and I will come home and start packing for the beach. When J gets home from work we'll hit the road. I-16 all the way to Savannah, north on I-95 for 40 miles, then west on some two lane road whose name/number I can't remember, headed to Charleston. That's my favorite part of the trip. Driving through the swampy lowlands, although it will be dark by the time we get there.

We skirt around Charleston, and head towards Surfside Beach, SC, where my mother-in-law's condo is. At this point in the trip there are times when you can see the ocean on the right ride side of the GPS, we're that close to the beach. Just to our right. We've made the trip so many times we don't need the GPS but we like to watch it count down the miles and minutes. Through my MIL's generosity this has become our second home.

My children are happy there. So am I. We have our favorite places to go to. Our favorite putt-putts (we play every day). Our favorite pools. Restaurants. Of course the beach.

We take almost nothing but flip-flops, shorts, swim suits and sweatshirts. We eat pizza, play putt-putt, go to the bookstore, talk about the things we'll do next time (always the same things -- play real golf, take the helicopter ride, go to the state park, kayak, bring our bikes).

The kids take all this happiness and contentment for granted. I'm glad that they do. I'm glad they can.

I used to play this game when J12 was younger. I would compare his life with the way my life was at his age. I would think about traumas I had experienced and that he had not. I would steel myself for the time when really bad things would start happening to him.

Taking my kids to the beach. Seeing them safe and happy and not knowing hell yet. There's not much more I want to give them. I know there's tough stuff coming. None of us avoid it. For the next couple of days everything will seem suspended.

That's enough for now.


8 comments:

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

I hope you all have fun!

JCK said...

Lovely post. I've spent a lot of beach time in those areas. Edisto, Hilton Head...Charleston, Savannah. Love that part of the country. The smells are unique and wonderful! And, the beaches are incredible.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That is enough for a long time.

Neil said...

That's great. I didn't realize that it was already beach time down there...

Christy said...

It sounds really, really wonderful. Have a fun, relaxing week!

anymommy said...

It's a lot. I adore Charleston. I long for it sometimes.

mommygeek said...

It sounds lovely. There's a lot of value in being somewhere where you can truly enjoy yourself, watch your kids enjoying themselves.

K said...

I'm jealous. I want to go to the beach and play putt putt every day.

It's still in the 50s where I live.