Saturday, November 13, 2010

43 Days ?!!??!! NO, TODAY IT'S 42!

Everything was fine.  It was finally Friday evening, we were sitting in the living room trying to decide what I was going to make for dinner.

And by "make for dinner" I mean pick up take-out or drag the family to a restaurant.

I'm just relaxing, talking to the family, when J12 says "43 days!"

I said, "What???"

Oh, I knew immediately what he was talking about, but I didn't want to admit it.

"What?  What's in 43 days?"

"Christmas!"

It was like a fire alarm went off in my head.  Forty-three days?  Are you kidding me?

I hate when I get a reality check like that.  And just when I had been ready to write a post about how, for probably the first time in my life, I was one hundred percent excited about the holidays.  How I had changed and evolved and had lost all my old fear and worry and expectation of disappointment.

For a moment, when he first said, "43 days" all those old feelings rushed back in.

Then I took a deep breath, realized I was just giving into an old habit and not genuine feelings, exhaled, and welcomed back the excitement and anticipation I had already begun to feel about Christmas.

Yesterday I had been thinking about writing a post about change.  The subtle changes I feel happening in my life because of the yoga and meditation.

 I think I just did.

8 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That's wonderful.

sherilee said...

We had a major plumbing mishap here last weekend that has taken every holiday thought and expectation and thrown them out the window. I haven't decided yet whether I'm happy about that or a little sad... maybe a bit of both.

But 43 days? So glad you have yoga and meditation. Maybe I'll have to pick up a healthy habit or two over the next 43 days... right now I'm just focusing on the breathing...

anymommy said...

Lalalalalala. Not counting ;-) I'm glad you've found the right spirit for the next 43 days or so.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Exhale. Breathe. You said it.

Angeliki Bogosian said...

Very well done! I can see similar changes to myself as well since I started meditation/yoga. They are quite amazing moments.

flutter said...

okay clearly I need to go to yoga, because i think you just gave me a panic attack

Unlikely Oilfield Wife said...

I envy your ability to get excited after panicking! I just swing back and forth every other day when it comes to the holidays. Ugh.

Jennifer said...

So I have about 40 days left to procrastinate. Yay!

(I'm so glad for you that you're feeling that shift inside.)