Sunday, June 13, 2010

I'm a Small Dog Person. Who Knew


So about three weeks ago I took my TWO dogs out for their 7:00 a.m. walk and I saw this little guy cowering under the neighbors car. When we got back he was still there and trying to make friends with my cat. I quickly put my TWO dogs into the house and came straight back out to check on the little guy. You know, because my house is the Underground Railroad for cats and dogs in my neighborhood. I think there's a special scratch on the dogwood tree or maybe the way the vine curls up the mailbox. Whatever it is they come to my house.

In fact when he was making friends with my cat she was probably telling him it was a good place to land since that's how she came to live here about 18 months ago.

Yes. Yes I tried to find his home -- put up signs, ads in the paper, called the vets, etc. etc. etc. No takers. I don't know why anyone would let him go because he is a sweetie.

We named him Treasure. It wouldn't have been my first choice but I wasn't choosing -- the kids were. Now the name has stuck.

And now I have THREE dogs. That's right. Three freaking dogs. One cat. Two boys. One husband. One job. One crappy small house.

Thanks for asking but no Treasure is not quite as house broken as we would like. So he's spending lots of time in the cage and going on lots of mini-walks.

He did spend a questionable 24 hours with some neighbors who were thinking of adopting him, just so they could breed him with their chihuahua. It didn't go well -- at either house. I was a mess for 24 hours (and so was J12 -- although I'm sure he wouldn't want you to know that) and Treasure didn't get along with their three dogs -- so home he came.

And home he has stayed.


10 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

You are a good dog mama.

52 Faces said...

Awwww! Ok your new kid's cute and you're awesome.

I was reading this just now with my bf at 5 in the morning...because we just got back from Taiwan and have huge jet lag. I said to him, "Oh THIS is why we've been such long time blog friends." :)

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Aw--what a good person you are!
That "underground railroad" part made me laugh.They know you're a safe haven.

Jen on the Edge said...

There's a special place in heaven for animal lovers/rescuers, you know. :-)

Very Mary said...

Thanks for swinging by the blog! The charms are for sale, if your'e interested. And wouldn't you know they make ADORABLE dog tags?!

Suzanne said...

Oh Treasure is adorable, you had no chance passing up that cutie! So glad you are able to give him a good home!

Jennifer said...

It was me. I put the scratch on the dogwood last time I visited you.

Blame me, or thank me. Up to you.

(He's such a sweetie...glad he found you!)

texasholly said...

You are such a better person than me. I just couldn't do three...dogs that is. I am having enough difficulty with the kids.

bernthis said...

I know that Teddy deserves a companion but until I get one who lives with me or Phoebe becomes old enough to qualify as a "companion" it's not happening.

Thank you for rescuing ;))

citymouse said...

You are a good soul, but he looks adorable so how could you say no?
(The Underground Railroad comment cracked me up. I actually live close to one of the stops, so it really communicates to me.)