Friday, May 7, 2010

Mono oh Mono

J11 probably has mono. I took him in Monday and they did a blood test and it came back negative for mono but he definitely had a virus and his white blood count was really high.

He's been home sick all week and I won't lie to you. When the symptoms are listlessness and loss of appetite and you do not have any kind of diagnosis (besides generic virus) after a few days your lack of sympathy may reach Mommy Dearest levels.

This morning I told him he had to TRY. That he had to have breakfast and get dressed and get in the car and if that was to much he could just come back home with me. He ate and ten minutes later I found him crying on the couch -- overwhelmed with the idea of going to school.

I took him back to the doctor this morning and they said that the mono virus only shows up on the tests 70% of the time and if they did another test they would probably find it.

He really doesn't seem to be feeling any better but at least now I kind of have a diagnosis.

Poor kid. We've worked on homework a bit but he just kind of zones out on me. He even gets tired from playing video games and he falls asleep in the middle of the day. Sure signs that something is wrong.

Now that I have my kind-of-diagnosis I'm going to spoil him rotten until he tells me to leave him alone and I'm going to keep hoping hoping hoping that D8 doesn't get it.


7 comments:

Kelly said...

Poor guy. When I had mono, one of my friends thought I was pregnant because I was tired all the time. It's no fun.

Coco said...

I hope he gets to feeling better. I have never had mono but I had a friend who was home from school for months. Hope that is not what he has.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I'm so sorry. It's no fun for anyone when one of your kids is sick like that.

Rebecca said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry for him and you guys. It's so tough when they're sick. :(

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Did they run a strep test? No kidding, when B was 5 he was soooo lethargic for over a week and mono had been going around his school and it turned out to be STREP THROAT. No other symptom, just lethargy.
Poor kid. Yours, that is. Mine is fine.

reluctantfarmchik said...

All I can say is . . . "Oooooi" So sorry. Hope YOU didn't get it either! MISERABLE.

phd in yogurtry said...

Hoping he's much improved by now ?