Saturday, May 8, 2010

Little Flower Guy


Every fall I fill terra cotta pots with violets and place them on the front porch and the steps. In Georgia they bloom all winter and in the spring, right before it gets to hot and they die, they go through a growth spurt and the blooming goes into hyperdrive (I'm so poetic).

This year I've had a couple of volunteers growing right out of the bricks in the steps. The little guy above has been blooming for a few days and makes me smile every time I walk into the house. Which, considering the state of my house right now, is saying something.

14 comments:

furiousBall said...

i love crack flowers

it's a good thing i included the word flowers in that sentence

Magpie said...

this is sweet.

Mrs. Chili said...

LOVE it. I love violets, especially because they do that - grow anywhere and keep coming back. That's my idea of gardening; plant something then let God/dess take care of it. Yep!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Crack flowers--that makes me laugh. It is lovely.

Indigo said...

I had to smile at, 'crack flowers,'. Wonderfully appropiate, flowers that find the cracks in our hearts and seal them with a smile. (Hugs)Indigo

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

I love that picture. I just inspires me.

citymouse said...

What a happy little flower. I think it would make me smile too.

Suzanne said...

that is absolutely amazing and beautiful, I've never seen anything like it.

bernthis said...

this is when the unpredictability of nature is at it's best

Lori said...

what a sweet little gift.

sari said...

We planted petunias a few years ago and they really did well, but then since it gets so hot here, they all died.

Amazingly, they come back every year but we have all of these colors we didn't have before, they just have mixed themselves up crazily. It's the best!

V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios said...

Plants and flowers emerging from unlikely places always inspires me. Life affirmations!

phd in yogurtry said...

I know just how that violet feels. Triumphant but afraid, at any moment, I'll get squished.

Karen said...

I LOVE this! Such optimism and tenacity!!