Friday, April 16, 2010

Why I Blog (or don't)

I've been feeling stuck or blocked or whatever. To stubborn to come here and admit it. To lazy or scared or ambivalent to do anything about it.

Yesterday I ran across this post at Lisa Call's blog. I've recently discovered her blog and I really haven't been reading much of anything lately. So it feels a little serendipitous that I happened to read this particular post. Lisa writes about being stuck and the importance of writing as an integral part of her creative process.

Everything she wrote really hit home with me. It was exactly what I needed to read. I need to get back here and the truth is I feel like I'm always writing this post -- about how I haven't been writing and how I need to and how I'm embarrassed to come and say this again.

So then I keep not posting. It's silly. And I can feel myself getting more and more stuck.

So yesterday I painted one of the tables that makes up my L-shaped desk. I'm finally redecorating (OK decorating for the first time) my office/sewing room. This is kind of huge if you want to know the truth. If I keep it cluttery I don't have room to sew and I can't get to anything.

A couple of weeks ago I sorted and organized my fabric. And by the way. damn. I have a lot of fabric. Now I'm attacking the office side of the room and it's not pretty. But I'm making progress and I'm determined to turn it into a room I love to be in. It's going to take me a while to declutter everything, paint the room, and get everything the way I want it. I can already feel the energy shifting in that room and I know that change is really coming from inside of me -- from the changes I've made lately.


5 comments:

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

I liken it to plumbing. Sometimes when the pipes get clogged, you have to just keep pushing shit out.
Yeah, well, that made more sense and sounded cooler in my head.

AnastasiaSpeaks said...

I completely understand the internal blogging struggle. I have times where I can't relate to the medium at all and find myself such a stranger to my own blog and the process of sharing my words with the world and then there are times when I feel so compelled to write and be part of a community that I find wonderful and loving.

We've just got to go with our gut on both fronts. Stay away when it doesn't feel natural and come back and you feel the pull.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I love how she realized that stopping writing is an early warning system. That makes so much sense.

Coco said...

Sounds like you are on your way.

Magpie said...

I wish I had a room like that.