Sunday, April 18, 2010

It All Started With A Lamp


It all started with this lamp. I was at Target a few days after the Liberty of London collection came to Target. I'd been waiting and waiting. There were only two of these lamp shades left and I was standing there looking at them when another woman walked up and I said to her, "I want this so bad, but I just don't know where I would put it." She said the same thing -- that it just wouldn't fit in her house anywhere. We had a little conversation about it and then she walked away.

I really loved that lamp. I really wanted it. So I said to myself-- what the hell. I'll find a place for it and I bought it.

As soon as I got home I realized it belonged in my office. As soon as I put it in my office I realized how grungy, cluttery and dirty my office was.

Thursday I started painting the two tables that make up my desk. I'm still working on them -- applying polyurethane. Yesterday I started priming the windows and walls. It's a big job -- mostly due to the incredible amount of stuff in there that I have to organize. And the cleaning. Ohhh the cleaning. And the painting the zillions of windows. I will post photos of them next time.

Like I said in my previous post I'm creating a room that is just mine -- where I can work, sew, write. It feels good even though I can feel my usual reluctance to finish a project. I can't wait to show it to you when it's finished.





11 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I can't wait to see it when it's finished.

I'm an admirer of those who paint. I just don't. I love to pick colors, but I just can't do it myself.

Kelly said...

I can't wait to see the pictures, either.

52 Faces said...

A room of one's own! How utterly fantastic! I'm quite jealous - I want badly to undertake a home refurbishing, but I'm limited by time. I'm trying to clean and throw clutter away ounce by ounce when I have a few minutes to spare here and there.

Document the journey with photos, lady!

Lori said...

Ok, #1 point: you lucky girl! what a wonderful, creative thing to do and just think of how pretty it'll be in the end!

#2 point: stay away from Target. I repeat, stay away from Target. That place is like a bug zapper to me - and I'm the bug. It's like Lays potato chips. Like a good bottle of wine that makes you say, I'm only having one glass. Where am I going? Not sure. But stay away from Target.

Jen on the Edge said...

I love the lamp and think that it's great that you got it.

Coco said...

Don't stop. You will be so happy when it is finished and you have your very own space all renewed.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

I saw their new line of things and I do like it too. One thing always leads to another for me as well. Imagine how cool it will be when you are done, though!

flutter said...

that lamp is absolutely delicious

Daisy said...

it's amazing how one little thing (a lamp) can turn into a domino effect of chores.

citymouse said...

This lamp is awesome and I hope you do a big blog post of the finished product. I've been wanting to check out the Liberty of London stuff because it's right up my alley from what I can see. There's probably nothing left at this point!

Stacie said...

Okay, now that i've caught up on reading blogs, I completely understand the office redo. WHAT A LAMP! I am so jealous!