Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Good, The Bad, The OMG I Will Never Finish


Do you see those windows? Yes, I know they are filthy. Thank you camera for accentuating that. I have 15 of those eight pained windows to prime and paint. It is taking forever. I am very excited that I was actually able to open all of them. They haven't been opened in years and I thought they were all rusted shut, but a little WD-40 and a lot of swearing and they opened. I'm so excited.

Yeah, the office remodel continues. I am in painting hell. I lied to myself over the weekend and said this workweek wouldn't be so bad and I could spend most of my time painting and get back in there in a week.

Not so much.

Work is crazy busy -- which is good. Those windows however, are unbelievably time consuming. I'm still priming them. Monday I wasn't able to paint at all, yesterday a couple of hours in the evening -- which means this morning I catch up on the housework (and I use that term loosely) I didn't do last night which means this afternoon I catch up on the work I skimped on this morning when I was catching up on the housework (still using the term loosely).

So yes, I have had moments of panic about this project. But really. Is it going to last forever? No. One coat of primer and two coats of paint are going to take much longer than I thought but in the end it will be worth it. I'm also going to sand and polyurethane the floor. I want to pull those ceiling panels off because there is bead board under there, but I'm going to put that off (don't tell me I should be doing that now. I know that.).

Honestly I'm really excited about it. It's a huge step for me to be proactive and take on a project like this. The decluttering and throwing stuff out is huge.

Once it's done, instead of walking into the room and trying to ignore the rusty windows, dirty walls and tons of junk I'll walk in and feel proud of the work I did and the beautiful space that is just mine.


12 comments:

Kelly said...

It's going to be great!

Stacie said...

You are a crackhead but I am jealous none the less. You have an office, you have those fabulous french windows... I may have to come over and kick your ass and take over that room.

So there! Get back to work painting my office!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

What a big job--kudos to you for tackling it.

AnastasiaSpeaks said...

So true. And also I think there is something so therapeutic about painting even though it's hard physically. Is anyone helping you? I'd would be wrangling my family to help...that's a big job.

Good luck! It's going to look great.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Work it, baby! Own it!
That space looks FABULOUS and when you're done, you'll be SO happy!

Magpie said...

those are beautiful windows, worth the work.

Magpie said...

those are beautiful windows, worth the work.

Lori said...

Whoa thats a lot of work, but in all honesty, it looks BEAUTIFUL and I know you have to be excited. When it's all over and done you'll be so happy. I love the crank out windows - had them on our last house and they have so much more character.

texasholly said...

I love painting...except for windows cuz of all the intensive taping required. BUT it is going to be so worth it. You are going to have an amazing space. The windows are gorgeous...dirt and all.

Coco said...

Sounds like you have a really huge project. Just do a little at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. Most importantly is don't beat yourself up over deadlines. Enjoy. Take your time. As women I think we really do push ourselves too hard and put too much pressure on ourselves.

bernthis said...

at least you have the balls to do all of that. I'd have called someone to do if for me and paid out the butt for it b/c I'd be so intimidated so good for you

V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios said...

That is a lot of work but nothing beats the sense of having a beautiful space that is truly your own.