Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Party. A Recap. Sort of.


K. Here's my kids. J11 HATES having his picture taken. D8 is a little bit better about it. This is from D8s birthday party Saturday. I took all your advice and e-mailed the 12 parents who hadn't responded. Eight more RSVPd and we ended up with seven kids showing up -- just the right number. Everybody had a good time and I managed to get through it without to many sips from the flask I had hidden in my purse.

Kidding.

It was in my pocket.

No really. I'm kidding. I didn't take a flask at all. I waited until I was home safe and sound.

ANYWAYS. The party was fine and I'm not going to have another one -- just family and they can have a friend or two over. Or we'll go to the beach or something. Something that does not involve RSVPs and me freaking out for two weeks.

Plus it seemed that D8 was a wee bit more excited about the presents part than he was the hanging out with friends.

The photo above was taken by one of the moms at the party. She took photos of every kid at the party and sent home a CD yesterday. So very sweet. And she's a woman I've kind of been critical and judgmental about in the past. I have such a problem bonding with the other moms at school and I'm having to admit it has way more to do with me then it does with them. Yeah, I'm gonna post about that tomorrow.

13 comments:

furiousBall said...

I can't remember which one is the raw macaroni eater, but my son (also very particular food kiddo) also loathes pictures being taken. and if you add up my little girl the uber ham... it kind of makes me look like i don't like my son while flipping through my photos. i just tell everyone he's half vampire :)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Some people are party people and some are not.

I have a friend who is decidedly not--since I decidedly am, I threw her daughter her first bday party when she was about 8,

I'm interested to read tomorrow's post.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

I'm SO glad the party was a success! And that's fine if you only do "events with friends." Like Jenn said, some people are party people. Some are not.
And that's so nice of that other mom--gestures like that always make me grateful.

Gardanne said...

A kindred spirit, I have a hard time putting together social events as well. It is a little easier now that my daughter is a teen and they pretty much entertain themselves, all I have to do is order pizza.
I need to stop worrying about how messy the house is, I don't have any good snacks, etc, etc.

V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios said...

I used to be a party person. I regularly threw parties and had people over for dinner. I even hosted holiday open houses that involved more than 50 invitations. I hosted 66 people for a family reunion years ago...

By the time I had kids, I was DONE with adult parties. I only did the occasional Girls Night Out at my house. I did kid parties at my home every year for about ten years and then RETIRED, more or less, from birthday parties.

My husband would love for us to entertain more and doesn't really understand why I've completely dropped out of it. It's just so. much. work. And I'm not an amazing or inventive cook. I almost always feel judged when I entertain. That's MY problem. *Sigh*

sari said...

We tend to go small around here, too - but I get lucky: one boy has a birthday in the summer, one has his birthday the week before Christmas, which usually tends to end up being during Christmas break, and the other has his the second week in October which will turn out to be fall break. Woo! :-)

Glad to hear it all turned out well, whether you do it all again or not. It is stressful!

Magpie said...

i'm glad you emailed them - and i'm glad the party came off okay.

Lori said...

I'm glad everything went well. Now, you're done - whew. No more. And I can totally relate. As Gardanne said, it does get easier when they're older. No organization - just order pizza and they're happy to have you simply disappear. :)

Karen said...

I'm SO glad it worked out well! And I like your ideas for next year--and I think I'll try to convince my own kid to go that route--because right now I'm in my own party hell--worrying about RSVPs and whatnot...but no, I won't go there...all is well, all is well...

Cha Cha said...

Glad the party was a success! And as for not bonding with the other school moms? Uh ... cut yourself some slack. Be kind to yourself - you have a lot going on.

Jen said...

Glad you survived it. That mom that made the picture CD? How awesome!

Hindsight is 20/20. I realize there are things I've done to shoot myself in the foot socially. Too many of them.

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

oh, I'm so glad the party turned out all right! It can be so stressful, I know. When I was pregnant I could just send DH with the kids and the bags of food to the indoor playground, but now I have not excuse, dammit.

Pearl said...

:-) Still waiting for the rest of this!

Is it tomorrow yet? :-D

Pearl