Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hope, Fear

Yesterday V-grrrl posted this beautiful piece of art (her creation). You need to click over and see it.

Now. Go do it and then come back.

The copy reads "Hope is a thing with feathers. So is fear, so is fear."

You might recognize "Hope is a thing with feathers" from Emily Dickinson's poem Hope. (No I didn't. I had to look it up).

This piece really got to me. The first thing I thought was that it's my choice -- hope or fear.

I am very much in the habit of choosing fear. From the very beginning, as far back as I can go it was scary. I kind of adopted fear and held onto it. Got to know it really well and now it's kind of a default.

Fear is a thing with feathers. It is. It takes off and takes me with it until I am functioning adequately well on the outside but on the inside I'm a trembling, fearful mess.

So here I am. Afraid to push ahead, push out, push on. Anytime something new arises I default and get scared.

I'm going to try to choose Hope every chance I can. I think it's moment by moment. For me I am often afraid of the little every day things and I let that fear take over. So today (and hopefully the next and the next and the next) I'm going to start grabbing onto Hope instead of Fear and see where She takes me.

10 comments:

Bob said...

fear is an instinctual reaction to the unknown. It isn't going to go away. The way to overcome this instinctual response is to use your intelligence to face it and rationalize it. Repeatedly. It takes time. Eventually your instinctual response will not just be fear, but fear tempered with the memory that the result of past changes wasn't something that needed fearing.

You might just find yourself embracing change instead of fearing it.

I think you're on the right track.

we_be_toys said...

Wow, inside my head much these days? I'm going to re-read this a few times and let your words get deep inside me, because we are in synch at this moment.

Mrs. Chili said...

It's a choice that has to be made EVERY SINGLE DAY and in EVERY SINGLE SITUATION. Sometimes it's good to be reminded of that.

V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios said...

Thanks for the kind words on my piece. I'm happy it was a springboard for the revelations you shared here.

I've long been an Emily Dickinson fan and carry the image of Hope as something light, strong, and capable of flight. When it is fluttering in my chest, hope feels the same way that fear does. That's the concept that inspired the art journal piece.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Oooh, you are DEEP today. Now off to digest the food for thought you've offered. I do like that picture.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That is gorgeous. It is amazing that pain makes such amazing art sometimes.

bernthis said...

after I left my marriage of 14 years, I knew I could do anything. I always chose fear. NOt anymore. I am woman hear me roar, baby

52 Faces said...

My comment grew so long I ended up writing a post about your post lol

http://52faces.blogspot.com/2010/03/hope-and-feartwilight-and-sookie.html

anymommy said...

I hope you'll tell us where she takes you. A little fear is okay, just keep your eyes on hope.

Karen said...

This is really interesting--all the blog entries I've been reading this past 30 minutes have been linked in some way--each one giving me insight into a large idea. And this is what I'm getting--fear is not bad--it means that something exciting may be about to happen, something fun, something exhilerating, something new. So don't hide from the fear--but don't stay there, either. Feel it and then jump--and trust that all is well...