Monday, February 8, 2010

Our House

This is what we are going to have to do to our walls to rewire the house. When I say we. I mean we. MH is getting certified for electrical work, which is going to save us thousands and thousands of dollars. Our house still has the original 1929 wiring. Which is somehow screwed into the wall using some kind oft terra cotta thingy. I don't know. It's all a blur right now. I just know I stood and watched MH do this to the dining room:





















The good (?) news is he'll also be able to install the breaker box. And I think we may be back in our house this weekend -- with electricity only in some rooms or something or other. I will be able to do laundry, cook and do dishes and get on-line. I just want to go home.

Really this isn't that bad. I do have a little perspective. It's very inconvenient, but it has to be done and it will be great to have the house updated.

Meanwhile, this pretty much sums up how I'm feeling:








9 comments:

AnastasiaSpeaks said...

OMG, good luck! I hope it all gets done without too much trouble. :)

Lori said...

LOLOL! I LOVE that movie. Tom Hanks is a riot. Whew! You've got your work cut out for you, but you're right. It'll be great once it's all done. :)

Bob said...

knob & tube wiring. Seems like if you do it yourself, you don't need to pull a permit or get it inspected. I think.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That looks like quite the big job. I guess, on the bright side, he'll be getting some great training.

Jen on the Edge said...

What a drag. How nice that you have an in-house electrician.

We once owned a house that we called the Money Pit. Never again.

furiousBall said...

ahh yes, home ownership!

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

I love that movie! Oh man, good luck.

Karen said...

Well, you're certainly making it your own!

Stacie said...

I completely understand the whole money pit thing. Our attic is a refuge for neighborhood rodents in the winter. Thank God for storage units! I won't even go into the leaks. but if it makes any difference, I like that whole rustic look!