Saturday, February 6, 2010

I needed to clean the fridge anyways

So yesterday we were cleaning up for the speech therapist and the lights blinked a couple of times and then went off.

Did I mention our house was built in 1929?

Did I mention we haven't gotten around to upgrading the electricity in the 14 years of living in the house?

Did I mention it's an actual miracle the house hasn't burned down yet?

After a few hours of fiddling around with wires and fuse boxes (yes we still have fuses) and a couple of trips to Lowes we figured out that the whole thing is just shot and we need to upgrade the box (no kidding) and rewire the house.

This is the part where I start drinking every fifteen minutes and/or become comatose and/or kill myself.

Fortunately (or not) my husband (MH) is getting certified in doing electrical things -- he's actually half-way through his first electricity class -- yea us.

Anyways, this morning I did the dishes --and yes I had to heat the water on the stove, cleaned out the fridge (way nastier than I thought it would be), packed up all the laundry I was going to do today, and we moved out to my mother-in-laws. We will most likely be here for a week. at least. Depending on what kind of electrician we can find to fix this thing.

We'll be driving home a couple of times a day to check on the cat and the fish (the fish are never going to survive this). I'll be moving my home office out here.

Luckily I have the world's best mother-in-law ever. If we had to move in with my mom we'd all be dead in 24 hours.

Sadly we seem to be the kind of people that take care of things this way -- wait until it falls apart. I'm hoping this will be the kick in the ass we need to be proactive and take care of things before they totally fall apart. We'll see. At least I'll have something to blog about for the next few days or so.

13 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

Oh wow, that sounds just awful. I'm sorry you have to deal with this right now.

Mrs. Chili said...

Blah! I'm SO sorry!

This, though:

Luckily I have the world's best mother-in-law ever. If we had to move in with my mom we'd all be dead in 24 hours.

Gave me a chuckle...

texasholly said...

OH NO!

OH NO!

OH NO!

flutter said...

ahhh, but that house has CHARACTER. :p

dearheart said...

Yikes! I can totally relate. Our house was built in the 1920's and the knob and tube wiring brings me down to the breaker box all the time! Good luck with the revamp!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Not fun at all. At least you'll have good company and a story to tell. And hopefully no more problems after this.

Duchess said...

1929 was a great year for houses. Not so great for the stock market.

My house was built in 17 something. It was always a challenge.

Duchess said...

1929 was a great year for houses. Not so great for the stock market.

My house was built in 17 something. It was always a challenge.

Suzanne said...

Oh sorry! What a pain that must be to have to move and then go back and forth to take care of the pets! The upsdie, you won't have to replace those wires again for a really long time!

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

You do your home repairs like we do! The expensive way, too, usually.

Karen said...

Oh dear.

Well, at least it will be done now. And you have the world's best mother-in-law ever. And yes, it's all grist for the mill.

May this pass quickly and cheaply!

JCK said...

We're those kind of people, too. And my husband is a contractor! Kind of like the cobbler's children have the worst shoes...

So glad you are back to slow panic. Always loved that name.

Got a flashback when I saw your last comment on my blog as Slow Panic. :)

Anonymous said...

valiaMarm
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/senility]senility[/url]
immofflag