Monday, February 15, 2010

Another Fascinating Post About My Life

I'll just post while I'm waiting for the water to boil so I can wash the dishes. No. No I'm not tired of no electricity at my house AT ALL.

sigh.

We were so close yesterday. I think that's what got me. Saturday we got the new breaker box installed and yesterday MH spent seven hours doing something or other to the wiring and for like five minutes WE HAD LIGHTS IN THE BEDROOMS.

And then something or other went wrong and we didn't.

We drug our sorry, sad, depressed asses back to my mother-in-law's for the night.

It's hard not knowing when it's going to be fixed. Sometimes I think we'll never get back here, but of course I know we will and most likely sometime later this week.

Everyone is on edge. The kids are tired of the back and forth. I'm tired of cooking and cleaning n a dark kitchen (we have a gas stove so I can light the burners).

The thing about half-living in your house is you really start to look at it. This is a good thing. I'm seeing things that I don't need and things that I want to change. It's a new perspective and one I desperately needed. It's giving me time to think about how I can do things differently, that it's time to make the changes I spend so much time wishing I would make.

I spent this weekend cleaning and organizing the kids room and it's back to the point where they can play in it (imagine that). They are so happy in there. I wondered while I was working on it this weekend -- if we hadn't had this crisis what would I have been doing? Would I have been cleaning their room and taking care of things that have been neglected for so long? Probably not.

I kind of needed this kick in the ass. I'm just hoping the ass-kicking is over soon.

10 comments:

AnastasiaSpeaks said...

Seven hours? That's a long time. I really hope you have power soon.

I totally agree with the benefit of looking at your life/house with a fresh perspective. I think it results in some good decisions on what to do to improve your life.

Good luck with the lights! :)

Jen said...

Having no power sucks.

Once my entire family came over and completely overloaded our sewer. 15 people in a 1000 sq ft house and no toilets. THAT was an adventure. It was also one of those lovely "when worlds collide" moments when my IL's and my parents were both in town for my daughters blessing. It's amazing I didn't commit suicide.

I hope you get power SOON.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I have found that you need to throw at least one big party a year to keep your house in good order.

The minute you decide on the date for the party, every bit of deferred maintenance or dirt becomes glaring and you are compelled to take care of it.

The cleaning and organizing will make you feel so amazing when it is all done.

soccermom said...

I hope there is a BIG reward when your all done, for all that you had to go thru during. At the very least a great spa day. Hang in there.

Mrs. Chili said...

I would NOT be doing well in your situation. This kind of thing makes me bat-shit crazy, ESPECIALLY when it has to do with my house, my nest, my own little safe corner of this crazy world...

flutter said...

I hope you get some peace soon

Cha Cha said...

Yay for perspective and positive action - good for you.

And I truly hope you get power again soon. It just all sounds exhausting. Hang in there!

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

The way you're keeping your chin up is admirable. I think I'd be in a fetal position by now.

Coco said...

No electricity is way worse than snow. At least you had a place to go.

V-Grrrl said...

UGH. We survived an international move (three months living out of a suitcase), bought a house in the U.S., and hadn't even finished unpacking our shipments when we discovered the house had hidden structural problems. We were able to live in it while things were fixed, but it nine months before we could fully unpack and occupy the space. During those nine months my two pre-teens of the opposite sex shared a tiny, drab bedroom, we only had access to half the house, and my husband worked his ass off day and night. And did I mention the cost of repairs was about a quarter of the cost of the ENTIRE house? Yeah. Effin nightmare. I feel for you!